Wreaths are something people place on their loved ones' graves as a symbol of remembrance. However, wreaths come in many different types, and it can be tough to decide which one is right for your loved one. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of wreaths available and help you pick the perfect one for your loved one's grave.
What Are Wreaths?
By description, wreaths are a branch of circularly shaped twigs and flowers that symbolize eternal life. For the past two centuries, wreath-laying has been an essential part of military funerals to honor fallen heroes for their sacrifices in serving the country. What started as a tradition among ancient Greeks and Romans is now followed by many countries around the world.
Wreaths are also used as grave decorations to pay tribute to the deceased. They come in different shapes and sizes, but the most popular ones for graves are circular or heart-shaped. You can either make them yourself or buy them from a store.
Popular Types Of Wreaths For Graveyards
Generally, wreaths come in different designs. They also have their unique meanings attached to them. For decorating a loved one's grave, here are some of the most popular types of graveyard wreaths to choose from:
- Circular wreath: A wreath with no beginning and end, symbolizing eternal life. This type is the most popular wreath for graves.
- Cross wreath: A wreath with a cross in the middle, symbolizes faith and sacrifice. This is one of the most commonly used cemetery wreaths.
- Victory wreath: A laurel wreath is given as a sign of honor or victory. You can decide to use this cemetery wreath to show that the deceased lived honorably.
- Love knot: Two interlocking hearts to signify love and eternal togetherness.
- Heart-shaped wreath: it is the perfect choice if you are decorating your spouse's grave or that of a loved one. The heart shape represents love and affection.
- Triangular Wreaths: they can be used to pay tribute to the departed in another dimension. It symbolizes someone's journey to the beyond, and it also represents a celestial being.
Note: You can also choose to make your wreath or go for a custom-made one.
Selecting The Perfect Wreath For Your Loved One
If you are planning to decorate someone's grave with a wreath, there are several things that you must consider. First of all, make sure that the cemetery allows the use of wreaths.
Some cemeteries do not allow them and cemetery staff may even remove or confiscate any placed on graves. So before proceeding with your purchase or making one yourself, make sure to check with the cemetery's regulations.
Once you have gotten the go-ahead, here are some factors to consider in choosing the right wreath for your loved one:
- The type of wreath: As mentioned earlier, there are many types of wreaths to choose from. Make sure to select one that corresponds to the deceased. You can also make it personal by adding the person's favorite flowers.
- The wreath's materials: Make sure that the wreath is durable enough to withstand harsh weather conditions and that it is not toxic or harmful in any way. Ensure also that there are no sharp edges, which may hurt someone accidentally or cause damage when placed on a grave.
- The size of the wreath: The wreath should be big enough to be seen from a distance and also fit well on the gravestone.
- The color of the wreath: You can choose any color you want, but it is best to select one that complements the gravestone or cemetery surroundings.
- The design of the wreath: You can also be very creative with the design. Just make sure that it is appropriate and tasteful.
- Time or season: It is best to choose wreaths that fit the season. This way, it will not look out of place. For example, a Christmas wreath will look better during Christmas and so on.
Once you have chosen the perfect wreath, take time to write a heartfelt message or tribute on a card and attach it to the wreath. This will add an extra special touch to your wreath.
It is also a good idea to visit the cemetery every year at least once to check on your wreath and clean up around it. If you are unable to do so, arrange with family or friends who can help you out in this regard.
Need Wreaths Delivered To Your Loved Ones At Fort Snelling?
Do you want special wreath style arrangements for the headstones of your loved ones at fort Snelling who have passed? If your answer is yes, we can definitely help you with that. Fort snelling cemetery flowers delivers cemetery wreaths and flowers exclusively to Fort Snelling National Cemetery 365 days a year. All you have to do is choose the months, and we will do the rest.
During the winter months, we use artificial flowers. And from Veterans Day until Christmas, we deliver different styles of silk flower wreaths including, patriotic and Christmas wreaths.
Finally, once the wreath has been placed on your loved one's headstone, we will send you a photo to share with friends and family.
By picking the perfect wreath for a loved one's grave, you can show your respect and keep their memory alive.
But remember, the wreath you choose must align with the deceased's personality and also carry a special meaning for your family. Once you have chosen it, make sure to attach a heartfelt message or tribute on a card, along with some silk flowers if possible.