There's no getting around it – funerals are sad. But that doesn't mean they can't also be beautiful, meaningful, and memorable occasions. If you're looking for the perfect funeral song to help you pay tribute at your loved one's funeral, look no further. Here are some of the best funeral songs of all time.
Simple Tips for Choosing Funeral Songs
When it comes to choosing funeral songs, there are no hard and fast rules. However, there are a few things you might want to keep in mind:
1. Set The Right Mood With The Music You Choose
The tone of the funeral should be set with the music you choose. If you want a somber, reflective atmosphere, then opt for slower, more sentimental songs. If you're looking for something that celebrates your loved one's life, then choose upbeat, positive songs.
2. Consider The Person You Are Memorializing
What did the person mean to you? How did they influence your life? Is there a particular memory of them that always make you smile? These are the kinds of questions you should ask yourself when choosing funeral songs.
For example, if you are memorializing a father figure, A song for Dad by Keith Urban would be perfect. This is an iconic funeral song that can help you express your feelings for your father. The phrases in this song reminds you of the memories you shared. Simply, a great song to finish a ceremony with.
3. Listen To The Lyrics Carefully
When you're choosing a funeral song, it's important to listen to the song's lyrics carefully. Some songs might have happy melodies but sad or dark lyrics. Others might have uplifting messages that can be helpful during this difficult time.
4. Use Different Music For Different Parts Of The Funeral
You might want to consider having different songs for different parts of the memorial service. For example, you could have more upbeat music for the entrance and exit, and perhaps something more reflective or soothing for the committal.
Best Funeral Songs By Category
Now that you have a few tips for choosing funeral songs, let's take a look at some of the best funeral songs by categorization:
Best Funeral Songs For Mom
When it's time to choose a funeral song for your beloved mother, you'll want one that captures the essence of your relationship with her and how you feel about her. These songs will surely cause tears, but they are a step in the direction of expressing yourself.
- "The Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler
- "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
- "A Mother's Prayer" by Celine Dion
- "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole
- "My Way" by Frank Sinatra
- "A Song for Momma" – Boyz II Men
- "A Mother's Love" – Jim Brickman and Mark Masri
- "If Heaven Was Needing a Hero" – Jo Dee Messina
- "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin
Popular Funeral Songs
These are some of the most popular funeral songs that people choose. They are time-honored classics that have stood the test of time for good reason.
- "Amazing Grace" – Traditional hymn
- "Hallelujah" - Leonard Cohen
- "The Lord's Prayer"- Traditional hymn
- "Candle in the Wind" - Elton John
- "You Raise Me Up ” – Josh Groban
- "Time to Say Goodbye" – Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli
- "Supermarket Flowers" – Ed Sheeran
- "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" - Traditional hymn
- "I Can Only Imagine" - MercyMe
- "In the Arms of an Angel" - Sarah McLachlan
- "In My Life" – The Beatles
- “ How Great Thou Art ” – Carrie Underwood
- "Over the Rainbow" – Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
Best Funeral Songs For A Spouse
When your spouse passes, you lose your best friend and the love of your life. These songs will help you to grieve and honor their memory.
"The Best Is Yet to Come" - Frank Sinatra
- "Unforgettable" - Nat King Cole
- "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston
- "Wind beneath My Wings" – Bette Midler
- "We've Only Just Begun" – The Carpenters
Best Funeral Songs For Dad
Your father had a huge impact on your life, and he'll never be forgotten. Honor his memory by listening to one of these memorial songs for dad that seem like they were written just for him.
- "Dance With My Father" – Luther Vandross
- "I'm Already There" – Lonestar
- "Forever Young" - Bob Dylan
- "You Will Always Be My Son" – Anthem Lights
- "A Song for Dad" – Keith Urban
- "The Dance" – Garth Brooks
- "Spirit in the Sky" – Norman Greenbaum
- "Tears in Heaven" – Eric Clapton
Country Funeral Songs
If you're looking for an iconic country song, consider one of these popular tunes.
- "I Believe" - Diamond Rio
- "Help Pour Out the Rain (Lacey's Song)" – Buddy Jewell
- "Remember When" – Alan Jackson
- "Believe" – Brooks & Dunn
- "Broken Halos" – Chris Stapleton
- "Go Rest High on That Mountain" - Vince Gill
- "Temporary Home" – Carrie Underwood
Modern Funeral Songs
If you don't want the funeral to be too traditional, choose a modern song instead. These songs are both sentimental and moving, yet still timely and cool.
- "A Thousand Years" – Christina Perri
- "Wish You Were Here" – Pink Floyd
- "You Are Not Alone" – Michael Jackson
- "See You Again" – Wiz Khalifa
- "Courtney's Song" – James Blunt
- "I Will Remember You" – Sarah McLachlan
Uplifting Funeral Songs
Although funerals are generally a somber affair, some upbeat funeral songs can help to lighten the mood. These tunes are perfect for celebrating a life well-lived.
- "What a Wonderful World" – Louis Armstrong
- "Over the Rainbow" – Judy Garland
- "Hero" — Mariah Carey
- "Keg on My Coffin" – The Push Stars
- "Don't Worry, Be Happy" – Bobby McFerrin
- "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" – Stevie Wonder
No matter what type of funeral song you're looking for, there's sure to be one on this list that will fit the bill. Choosing the perfect song to say goodbye to your loved one is a personal decision, but hopefully, this list has given you some inspiration.
From traditional hymns to modern pop songs, there's something for everyone. What matters most is that you choose a song that speaks to your heart and helps you to express your grief.
What are some of your favorite funeral songs? Let us know in the comments below.